FAQ - Starting a Magazine, Vendors, Salaries
Starting a Magazine
How can I find a printer/distributor/circ manager/sub agent/sales rep or other type of vendor?
View a directory of business partners for magazine publishers.
How do I get an ISSN number?
The Library of Congress has a website to assist in getting an ISSN: http://www.loc.gov/issn/.
How do I get a BIPAD number?
How do I get a bar code?
A list of bar code suppliers can be found at http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/isbn/us/barcode.asp
For questions about the number and type of launches in a particular magazine category, please refer to MPA fact sheets in the Finance & Operations section of the site.
Careers & Internships In The Magazine Industry
To find a career in the magazine industry, search the MPAs job bank at
The American Society of Magazine Editors sponsors an editorial internship program each summer for college juniors who are journalism majors or deeply involved in campus journalism. For more information click here.
For information on how to start your own magazine, we recommend these online resources:
- www.magazinelaunch.com -- A full service information portal for new magazines.
- The Surviving Small Press: Starting a Magazine
- Ten tips on how to launch a magazine
- 10 Mistakes to Avoid When Launching Your Title --An informative article outlining the challenges facing a magazine launch by Linda Ruth.
We also recommend 2 books that will get you started on launching your own magazine.
- One is Launch Your Own Magazine: A Guide For Succeeding in Today's Marketplace by Samir Husni, published in 1998, and available from his web site www.mrmagazine.com.
- The second book is called The Magazine: Everything You Need to Know to Make It in the Magazine Business, by Leonard Mogel, published in 1998 and available for $39.95 and available from the MPA.